The idea of a college at Ponnani actually emanated from the brain of late Dr. P.K. Abdul Gafoor Sahib, while addressing a public meeting organized by M.E.S. Ponnani unit in 1967. In the keynote address, he unequivocally stated that M.E.S. was ready to start a College here at Ponnani, provided the Ponnani M.E.S. units mobilize the required land and 1 lakh rupees. It was a great source of inspiration for the energetic members of the Ponnani unit. They took it up as a challenge and managed to accomplish all the requirements within a short duration. A sprawling 32 acres of land was obtained from the government and they also raised an amount of 1.25 lakhs rupees by means of public contribution. The long cherished dream thus became a reality when the college came into existence in 1968 under the patronage of M.E.S. President late Dr. P.K. Abdul Gafoor, Sri. E.K. Imbichi Bava and Sri. C.H. Mohammed Koya, being then the Ministers of Kerala.
The college enjoys 2(f) and 12(B) status of UGC and is affiliated to University of Calicut. At present it provides higher education to more than 1500 students in five Post Graduate courses and ten Under Graduate courses. Among five Post Graduate departments, three departments are recognized as Research Centres by Calicut University. There are 69 Teaching faculties and 25 Non-teaching staff in our college. The college was re- accredited by the NAAC at A level in September 2012.
Ponnani lies on the western outskirts of Malappuram district. The college is situated in Ponnani municipal area and its campus stretches to the west side of Tippu Sultan road. This is the only higher education centre between Tirur and Guruvayoor in the coastal belt of Malappuram district. The National Highway 66, the K.S.R.T.C. bus depot and the private bus stand make commuting very easy for the students. Kuttipuram railway station is 18 kms towards northeast and Guruvayoor railway station in 29 kms towards south.