The Department of History handles the subsidiary papers of British History of B.A English Main and Modern Indian History for BA Economics. The Department had a good collection of Library books which have in the General Library as part of the centralization process. The Department of History is attached to the PG Department of Economics. There is only one full time faculty in the Department. Many students of the Department have established themselves in various sectors, especially as accomplished teachers in various H.S. Schools and Degree Colleges and keep touch with the Department as Alumni. Besides teaching, the Department organizes class wise seminar, debate and prepares students for Quiz competition and Group discussion, so that they can keep pace with the time. The students can express their views independently through their discussions and teacher guides them properly in this regard. Above all, the faculty is always ready to render all possible assistance and guidance to students within and outside the campus as and when required.
The History Department aims to make the students aware of the past and its legacies through teaching, research and extension activities in Indian history in the context of world history. We believe that only a critical understanding of the past will enable the students to understand the present and help them look towards the future.
- Transform the students into citizens who are critically informed about the past and its consequences for the present
- Promote studies in history, society and culture of Maharashtra in general and Maratha history in particular
- Empower students to cope with the challenges of globalization by instilling in them a life-long passion for learning about the past. The knowledge about the interconnections between the global, national, regional and local history will equip the students to face the challenges with confidence.
Core Values of the Department:
- Understanding of the past through a complex process of critical dialogue with historians and historical sources
- Mutual trust and respect among historians
- Belief in honoring the integrity of the historical record
- The pursuit of scholarship in regional and local History
- Rigorous academic and research environment
- Providing unique learning experience for the students through exploring Maratha History and History of Maharashtra in its regional and national context.